We all do our best to achieve a young, glowing and firm skin, but not everything we do actually works. Here are some anti-aging fads you shouldn’t fall for and hard facts you should know.
Do you believe in myths? Anti-Aging. Photo: Istock.
- Anti-aging products are for older people
Quite the opposite – the earlier you start, the better. Our skin needs certain substances to help it maintain elasticity and firmness at any age during adulthood. Contrary to what some believe, these substances cannot harm younger skin and although some of them are potent,all they do is delay signs of aging.
- Expensive anti-aging products work better
We all tend to believe that the more we pay for a product or service, the higher its quality. That might be true in some industries but when it comes to anti-aging, it’s not always the case. Many brands slap on a high price tag in hopes consumers will assume their products are more effective than their more affordable counterparts. So how would you know if the price tag is worth it? It’s actually quite simple – instead of looking at the brand name look at the ingredient list. Look for ingredients such as micro-biopeptides (peptides that are able to penetrate deeper), moister retaining agents such as phytocohesine PSP and (Hyaluronic Acid), and cellular regeneration agents such as Epidermal Growth Factor (EGF)
- Whether I age earlier or later depends on my genes
While it’s true that your gene pool is a significant actor in your aging process, there are many other factors at play here and the good news are you can control most of them.
- Avoid sun exposure as much as possible and apply sunscreens regularly.
- Find ways to relieve stress, which can actually result in collagen and elastin loss.
- Avoid smoking.
- Exercise a few times a week.
- Eat plenty of fruits and vegetables and try to minimize the amount of sugar and refined carbohydrates in your diet.
It’s not all about the genes. Photo: Istock.
- A good moisturizer is the only anti-aging product we really need
Moisturizers, as their name implies, hydrate our skin and that is why it’s important to use them daily. But if you want to prevent the aging process you need to add other ingredients to the mix such as sunscreen, collagen strengtheners, hyaluronic acid and vitamins. Therefore, although you do not need to use every product available in the skin care line, you really should find the right product mix for your skin.